Sunday, November 20, 2011

Think Local This Holiday Season

Thanksgiving is this week! I am very excited to eat all the Thanksgiving goodness. Although, I must say, this will be my first gluten-free Thanksgiving. I probably won't be 100% gluten-free because it is just so easy to sneak into my diet. I most likely will not be able to forego the desserts. It will be well worth it though!


Anyway, I am getting side tracked, I really wanted to share with everyone the idea of eating and buying local this holiday season.

For Thanksgiving, think of buying those potatoes local or getting your turkey from a local farm. Personally, I will be using our own potatoes, onions, garlic, and squash but I did buy butter, carrots, and even sour cream from local farms. Putting that money back into my local economy is good for everyone involved.

As for the gift-giving season, there are a couple of different events going on where people will have the opportunity to purchase local and get some good deals. November 26, the Saturday after Thanksgiving, there is a national movement emerging called Small Business Saturday. We all know the craziness of Black Friday but usually that only occurs at the big box stores. You should definitely check out the local shop deals on Saturday too (maybe instead of going to those crazy stores on Friday)!


If you live in Whatcom County, there are some other great places to get local gifts if you are so inclined. Personally, I love gifts that are sourced locally. The gifts are made with great craftsmanship and have something a little extra special. Last year I got my bro-in-law a really great sushi set, my mother an awesome wooden bench, Tyler some woodsy-smelling soap (he loves that stuff), my sister some jewelery, and my dad's whole family some Seattle Organic all purpose cleanser, local roasted nuts and of course, chocolate! I am sure you could find something for anyone in your family too if you take a peek!

If you need inspiration, here are some local events happening in our corner of the state:
- November 25-December 4 is Buy Local week. Many local shops will be having sales.
- Sustainable Connections is holding an auction to benefit their Farm to Bank On program. They have some great items that can be used as gifts...even a gift for yourself.
- Allied Arts holds a festival every year featuring many local artists. Find out more here.
- Ferndale businesses are holding open houses during the first weekend of December.  
- The Bellingham Farmer's Market is still open for business until December 17th.

Those are just a few of events going on in my local community. Make sure you check out your newspaper and find out what you can attend in your area. Plus, don't forget all the local shops that would love your business over the holiday season.

Now you can go put up your holiday decorations. Well, maybe wait until after Thanksgiving.

- Emily

No comments: